Refined in the Fire

“But he knows the way that I take;
when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold.
My foot has held fast to his steps;
I have kept his way and have not turned aside.
I have not departed from the commandment of his lips;
I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my portion of food.
But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back?
What he desires, that he does.
For he will complete what he appoints for me,
and many such things are in his mind.”
Job 23.10-14 (ESV)

Using a fire to refine gold is the oldest and most reliable way to purify this very valuable element. Within the furnace, the radiating fire burns away anything not of pure gold. Using the analogy of being refined in the fire is also one of the oldest analogies we can find of God testing the believer.

When he has tried me, I shall come out as gold.” God has this incredible heart for and vision of His sons and daughters that we cannot fully see. But we know that we are His treasure. You are His treasure; something of much worth to Him. God wants the very best for us, and for us to represent pure gold.

Right now I am going through a very difficult season, and when I read these verses the other day, I was so encouraged. I know that through this fire God has me in, I want to be refined and purified, as much as possible. Don't you want the same for every fire and storm you go through? If we do not allow God to fully refine us, than the trial was worth what? Just a hard time? Or is it worth something far more!

When gold is refined in the fire, it loses nothing of it’s worth, nor is it affected by outside elements. The only thing that is taken out from the gold is that which is impure.

As Job was going through this truly difficult time in his life, his character lost nothing of value, or it’s lustre. The same should be for our own life. When we go through the fire, nothing of our value or lustre will be lost in the fire. If it be genuine, it will lose nothing of it’s quality, only that which is impure.

Although in this chapter Job is wondering where the Lord is in his situation, one thing Job was sure of was his obedience to God. He knew that he had walked faithfully with the Lord, and that ultimately, the Lord would honor him.

Right now I want to be assured of one thing, and indeed I am: that the Lord God Almighty will be faithful to those who serve Him faithfully. In fact, I’m depending on that.

Ultimately, God will do whatever He pleases. Verse 13 says, “But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back? What he desires, that he does.” But we can know that as His daughters, He has our best interests at heart.

What I find so incredible is that at the end of this book, Job is blessed with double portions. In chapter 1, verse 3, the account is given of Job: “He possessed 7,000 sheep, 3,000 camels, 500 yoke of oxen, and 500 female donkeys, and very many servants, so that this man was the greatest of all the people of the east.” In Job 42.12 it says of Job, “And he had 14,000 sheep, 6,000 camels, 1,000 yoke of oxen, and 1,000 female donkeys.”

God didn’t leave Job an outcast, but through the fire refined Job, and rewarded his character through the fire by doubling what he had before! What an incredible testimony we can look forward to in our own life!

God really cares for us, and if anything, a fire should prove that to be true. A fire is God’s way of buckling down in us character and purity. Why? Because He has so much planned for us! Verse 14 says, “For he will complete what he appoints for me, and many such things are in his mind.”

That verse is so exciting to me! Why? Because God has so much planned! God is looking for strong, pure, honorable women in His Kingdom. Those daughters who will rise up for the many plans that He has. Lets not shy away or sit in pity during our fires. But rather lets feel the burn and allow God to purify us the the fullest extent!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Britt, if we can go through these times with and for the Joy of the Lord, I believe we will have absolute Freedom in and through Him! What a life we could live if we choose to! :)

Post a Comment