Truth equals Freedom

John 8:31-32
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

My family and I had a blast this year celebrating the fourth of July. Our daughter took a step towards bravery and actually lit several fireworks. Our middle son enjoyed standing in the midst of the smoke bombs and making his eyes water, and our youngest son stood back in amazement of all the noises, smells, and bright lights. I love this week of celebration and all it involves on earth as well as in our spiritual lives.

As the song, “God bless the U.S.A” roars over all the radio stations this holiday, I am so deeply moved. In my town people are packed in on our local golf course gathering under the beautiful firework display, this amazing song, and one God. I think about how many times I have taken this freedom I have for granted. I begin to realize how many people die and strive to see the day of such a freedom. For most of us in America this is an incomprehensible blessing. We have always had this privilege so it is all we know, which can easily lead to a half hazard walk. The more knowledgeable we gain about something, the more Godly authority we can take towards our future. As we grow in the Lord, His Word (which is His wisdom) we can take this freedom we are blessed with to new heights.

I want to ask you what your definition of freedom is. I believe truth equals freedom. I don’t believe you can truly live in freedom until you have truly lived in and accepted the truth of God’s word. Full freedom is experienced only when we live in and for the truth that God offers us through his word. I just picture an ear to ear smile on the Lord’s face as we walk in obedience to his word. We must always remember this walk of obedience is for our benefit. The Lord does not actually have to have it, after all He is God. How sweet it is that He offers it daily into our lives. He wants us to experience every bit of heaven on earth.

When we seek His offer, we become selfless a little more each day. As we start being filled with His love, truth, and freedom He asks us to go and fill others lives. I want to expose and empty out as much of this undeserved goodness as I can so I can come back to His feet to be refueled once again. Without any hesitation, let’s grab His offer, digest it and seek the fruit within the offer!

Maranda Huntley

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Maranda,
You are right, it is easy for us to take our freedom for granted. Especially those of us who do not have spouses, close friends, or relatives who serve in the Armed Forces. For me, I am faced with the realization of the blessing of our freedom when I hear missionairies share their testimonies. I am filled with amazement in their stories of bravery, sacrifice, and unwavering devotion to be witnesses to the Word of God. We are so blessed by those willing to sacrifice their lives whether it be for our constitutional freedoms or our spiritual freedoms!

Post a Comment