Traps of Doubt: Part 1

I was completely blown away when I was reading through my personal journal and recognizing how doubtful I was with some things, but especially in the area of homeschooling. Why was I struggling so much with doubts? I felt led by God to home school my children...I felt called...and I even felt a passion for it...but, why did I still have so many doubts? How could I school all four of my children adequately? Would I be able to give them what they needed and more? Would I be patient enough? Could I handle the woman’s role in managing the home, being part of ministry, and home schooling?

As I began to talk with the Lord about all of this and search out the Word of God, I began to see more clearly that satan raises different doubts within us day in and day out. The problem is when he traps us and leaves us there; then we are not free to be what God fully intended us to be. This doubting thing all began in the garden.

Genesis 3:1-“The serpent was the shrewdest of all the wild animals the LORD God had made. One day he asked the woman, “Did God really say you must not eat the fruit from any of the trees in the garden?”

Does any of this sound really familiar? “Did God really tell you not to eat of that tree?” “Did God really call you to ministry?” “You are so impatient- did God really tell you to stay at home with your children?” “Oooh..you’re sure struggling..did God really tell you to take that job?” The list goes on and on.

Let’s take a look at the first trap that he often uses! He get’s us to:

1. Turn our eyes on ourselves.

Doubt takes us to a place where we are focused on ourselves. Let’s look at a man who fell into this trap. Luke 1:18 says, “Zechariah asked the angel, How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years.” Here is a man who has been faithfully praying for him and his wife to have a child, and finally God sends an angel to tell him that they are going to have a child and what does Zechariah do? He expresses doubts about his own ability to father the child. His age spoke more loudly than God’s promise!!

Zechariah took his eyes off of God and turned his eyes upon himself. Whenever we look back to ourselves, doubt and fears will creep in because we are not capable in our human flesh. And from Zechariah’s human perspective, his doubts were understandable-but with God, anything is possible. Although Zechariah and Elizabeth were past the age of childbearing, God gave them a child.

We are often captured into this trap of doubt so easily when we begin the “I can’t”, “I’m not”, “I don’t know if”, when all of those statements are turned inward at ourselves and our inadequacies, all the while we should be turning the comments into, “God is” “God has called me, therefore I am equipped!” If God is calling you to something you feel is beyond you, you are in good company. God has a history of calling people to things that are beyond themselves. Pastor Rick Warren put it this way:

“Abraham was old, Jacob was insecure, Leah was unattractive, Joseph was abused, Moses stuttered, Gideon was poor, Samson was codependent, Rahab was immoral, David had an affair and all kinds of family problems, Elijah was suicidal, Jeremiah was depressed, Jonah was reluctant, Naomi was a widow, John the Baptist was eccentric to say the least, Peter was impulsive and hot-tempered, Martha worried a lot, the Samaritan woman had several failed marriages, Zachaeus was unpopular, Thomas had doubts, Paul had poor health, and Timothy was timid. That’s quite a group of misfits, but God used each of them in his service. He will use you too.”

It is so easy to doubt or misunderstand what God wants to do in our lives. Even God’s people sometimes make the mistake of trusting their own intellect or experience rather than God. When tempted to think that one of God’s promises is impossible, remember his work throughout history. God’s power is not confirmed by narrow perspective or bound by human limitations, so don’t look at your inabilities and dwell in insecurities. Look at the Almighty God. See this call as the opportunity to watch Him work in you and through you. If you answer yes to the question, “Is this beyond me?” Chances are God is speaking!


Trust Him completely!
Stephanie

Study questions:

Matthew 17:14-23; How can we use doubts to help remind us that our faith must continue to grow?

James 1:2-8; Are there any specific areas where you have been lacking trust? Where did it stem from? An unhealthy relationship? A seemingly unanswered prayer request? Pray and ask God to reveal what’s in your heart.

Exodus 14:1-31; How can we focus on God’s faithfulness in the past, so we can easily and quickly move past the doubts and lies?




Category: 0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment