The True Christmas Priority



Can you believe we only have 9 more days until Christmas? I feel like I say this every year, but “where has the time gone?!” If you are anything like me, you are still working on finishing your Christmas shopping, wrapping gifts, last minute planning for upcoming parties, and the list goes on. In the hustle and bustle of it all, it can be way too easy to lose focus of the true Christmas priority. And that is having our hearts turned toward and focused on our loving Savior, Jesus. What does this mean and how do we practically do this?

The answer may seem pretty simple...but, whew, it’s hard to do sometimes. It’s simply spending time with Jesus every day, despite our overwhelming to-do lists. We must be intentional about this, because it will not just happen. We know we need to have the gifts purchased and wrapped, but we somehow think we can make it without time with Him.

Listen to what David cried out during his personal time with God. In Psalms 5:1-3 he says, “O, Lord, hear me as I pray; pay attention to my groaning. Listen to my cry for I pray to no one but you. Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord. Each morning I bring my request to you and wait expectantly.” David made a point to meet with the Savior before his to-do lists got the best of him.

During those quiet times with God, that’s when He is able to speak to our hearts in such personal ways. It may be something as simple as, “when you go to the Christmas party, I want you to go out of your way to encourage so and so…”, it may be, “I know it is difficult for you to attend the family gathering, but I want to work in your heart and walk you through forgiveness so you can be around that certain person.” Only as we make the priority to spend some time with him and cry out to Him each morning, will He be able to use us in powerful ways.

Maybe He will challenge you to have a heart of serving. 1 Peter 5:5 says, “Serve one another in humility, for God opposes the proud, but favors the humble.” When we are attending all of the family gatherings, the work parties and so on...how can we take on the challenge of serving one another? Can we spread the love of Jesus and share the light of His goodness by our serving?

A few weeks ago, my 7 year-old son says to me, “Mom, you and Dad are sure a lot more special than Santa.” I smiled and said, “Why do you say that?” He says, “Because Santa only brings toys and you and Dad give love! Toys fall apart and get old, but love is what really matters!” Wow!! He got it! It’s the love of God that surpasses all of the ‘stuff’! It can be easy to get caught up in ourselves around this season-what outfit we will wear to the party, what dish we are going to take to the potlucks, how much money is left in our checking to purchase one more thing.

See, the enemy would love to distract us from the real priority of Christmas and miss out on what really matters. In 1 Peter 5:8 (NLT), it says, “Stay ALERT! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”

Let’s not allow the enemy to rob what opportunities we have to share the light of Jesus during this Christmas season! Meet with God today and ask Him what He wants to speak to you! How does He want to use you this season for His glory?

Love,
Stephanie





Category: 0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment