It's About Hope & What You Can't See

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."
Hebrews 11.1

Lately I have wondered: what is faith, how do I get it, what power does it have? Knowing the power of faith and releasing it into your life is huge and I feel as if perhaps I have been missing it lately. I wonder who else out there could be too?

I don't mean to imply that faith is non-existent, because I have some faith. But I didn't understand how to unlock the power it had. Now I search the scriptures to find more about what exactly is faith and how do I hold it. I want to be know as a woman of faith. I want people to look at my life and see a person who has faith in God above.

There is so much that I have been learning about faith. I really believe that this is something that God wants us to get a hold of. I really do. Faith gives reality to things that cannot be seen.

I wanted to to study the famous Hebrews 11 chapter that lists those from the Old Testament that were commended for their faith. I thought surely I could learn something from them.

Abel- he offered a more acceptable sacrifice to God
he was commended as righteous

Enoch- faith through obedience to God; he was not because God took him
commended as having pleased God

Noah- constructed an ark for events unseen
reverent fear

Abraham- went out to a place of which he knew not of in a foreign land
looked forward to an eternal city

Sarah- conceived a child past the age
considered him faithful who had promised

Abraham- offered up Isaac, his only son
considered God able EVEN to raise his son from the dead

Isaac- invoked future blessings on his sons

Jacob- blessed as he was dying, bowing in worship

Joseph- mentioned the exodus that was to come, and gave directions concerning his bones

Moses (Parents)- was hidden for three months
they were not afraid of the king's edict

Moses- left the wealth and comfort of the Pharaoh's house to live in hardship with the people of God
considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt

Moses- left Egypt, not being afraid of the king

Israel- crossed the Red Sea on dry land and by faith the walls of Jericho fell

Rahab- gave friendly welcome to the spies
she did not perish

Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel...

through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight.

There they are; there is the faith hall of fame. The words italicized represent a quality of sorts that they had. That I want.

Faith is knowing in your heart, believing that God will be faithful to His promises. And there are so many promises!

As you go into your prayer time everyday, or whenever you lift up a prayer, have that assurance. Ask with boldness. Be specific. I neglected to do either for a long time because in the back of my heart, I somehow doubted. I believed with my mind, no problem. But, and this is just a personal struggle that I have, but in my heart, I guess I always expected that not everything is going to happen for me. I wasn't asking with an assurance, because in the back of my heart I was expecting to be let down. But God isn't human and He won't let you down. And you CAN pray for specific things and ask with boldness, because that's the power that sees action.

If you want more faith, ask for it. The apostles asked for it in Luke 17.

"The apostles said to the Lord, 'Increase our faith!' And the Lord said, 'If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, "Be uprooted and planted in the sea," and it would obey you'." (17.5-6)

Hello, there is faith that can tell a tree to go into the ocean! I definitely want that power, don't you? And I can! You can! Ask and believe. If you do, it is yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment