But Thou

Psalm 86 (MSG) is one of the five Tephillahs or “prayers” in the psalms, and is a prayer of Davids. It’s a beautiful and powerful prayer, one that has done much to encourage my heart. It is the insert of praise within the prayer that I find especially nice.



For today, I would like to look specifically at the latter part of the psalm, beginning in verse 11. David says, “train me, God, to walk straight.” The KJV puts it, “teach me thy way, O Lord.” I don’t know what it is, but something about this particular verse in the KJV in this context is so intimate. “Teach me thy way, O Lord.” Don’t you want to repeat it a hundred times!



We are to be constant students in the school of God. Ever learning, and desiring to learn, from the King of Kings. David willfully wanted to follow God. I like Charles Spurgeons commentary, “not my way give me, but thy way teach me.” That is my daily prayer if I’ve ever had one.



David takes it a step further by taking it to the heart. “Put me together, one heart AND mind.” To be made whole, undivided. A (wo)man divided can not stand, but a (wo)man made whole can “worship in joyful fear.” We are being called to rise up as women undivided in heart and mind, free from any fear but holy awe.



Praise should never be lifted unless it is whole. When we give anything but, it is not complete, therefore it is not real and authentic. God doesn’t deserve divided and conflicted praise, but whole heart and mind within the avenue of glory we give above.



In verse 13 David continues with, “You've always been great toward me—what love!” I really don’t know what I could put here that would highlight your understanding of it any better. We all have come from a low place; we are all sinners who botched it up. But those of us who know the immeasurable grace and mercy of God can testify that He has been great towards us! Which is indeed an incredible love!



But you, O God, are both tender and kind, not easily angered, immense in love, and you never, never quit.” Verse 15 is without a doubt my favorite verse in this psalm. David has just talked about the enemies rising against him and continues the thought with, “BUT.” But God is tender.kind.not easily angered.immense in love.and He never quits. What a contrast he has painted for us!



David turns to bold requests at the end of the psalm. “So look me in the eye and show kindness.” I’m pretty sure that’s a bold request...and that’s okay. Don’t be afraid to ask God to look you in the eye. Don’t be afraid to ask for His attention and kindness. By asking this, David is asking for mercy and strength. “Give your servant the strength to go on, save your dear, dear child!” When God gives us His strength, we are sufficient in all times.



With one last bold request, David says, “Make a show of how much you love me so the bullies who hate me will stand there slack-jawed, as you, God, gently and powerfully put me back on my feet.” God makes a show of His love for us by taking care of us. By saying “make a show,” David is asking God to assure him of His mercy by delivering him out of his current trouble.



We serve a pretty amazing God. And it must be our desire to understand Him that nudges us to move forward as students eager to learn. Students of our mighty God made whole in heart and mind. It must be our pursuit of God and His truth that defines us. And it will be within our pursuit, bearing fruits of praise, that we will see God show us (and others) how much He loves us!

No comments:

Post a Comment