At All Times

One of my favorite things about God and His Word is the constant relationship between the two. And how neither will ever change. There is something very trusting and safe in knowing that the One on the other side of the relationship will never give up on you, and that the promises that coincide with that relationship will never be empty.


I love (and I use that word very seriously) that God and His Word are always for me. And not just for me, but for everyone. It’s universal! One of the best experiences in life happens when you are going through a season and God sends you Scripture that is perfect in it’s timing. It’s food in season that you desperately hold onto and feed yourself with.


Right now that food for me is Psalm 34. I can’ t tell you how much this Psalm has fed my soul in the last few weeks. It’s a Psalm of praise, and a Psalm of wisdom instruction. Both key disciplines in the spiritual walk of a believer.


The first verse is my favorite. “I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth.” This may sound ridiculous, but when I first began incorporating this psalm into my walk a few weeks ago, I put in my phone calendar this verse, and scheduled random reminders for it. So throughout the day and the week, I was getting reminders to praise God.

I’m not embarrassed to admit I need a little help in this. The Bible says that our minds are hostile towards God (Romans 8.7); naturally, it does not desire to contemplate on His goodness, so sometimes I may need a little reminder to do just that.

Oh, how I long to be known as a person who continually praises God. That’s are primary purpose and first calling...to give glory to God. And not only to be known as a person who does so, but to be one that encourages others to do so. Verse 3 says, “Oh, magnify the LORD with me,and let us exalt his name together!”

Definitions of magnify include: to make greater in size, to enlarge, to extol.

This means that my primary reason for breathing is to enlarge God not only in my life, but to encourage it in the lives of others.

I know I said verse 1 is my favorite, but I happen to have another favorite part (let’s be real, I can’t have a favorite when it comes to the Word of God...it’s all so good!). Five times in this Psalm, the word “all” is used (ESV).

V. 4: “I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

V. 6: “This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him and saved him out of all his troubles.”

V. 17: “When the righteous cry for help, the LORD hears and delivers them out of all their
troubles.


V. 19: “Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all.”

V. 20: “He keeps all his bones; not one of them is broken.”

If that doesn’t encourage your heart, I don’t know what would? Not only do we serve a God that is unchanging, but we serve a God that delivers us out of ALL our troubles. We can be confident in the promises of God. We can be confident in the promise that He will take care of ALL our problems.

The key to receiving the blessings of God is a consistency of worship in the life of the believer. Verse 9 (MSG) says, “Worship God if you want the best; worship opens doors to all his goodness.” Perhaps you’re facing an uphill battle? Maybe worship and praise is one of the last things on your mind? I’ve been there many times, but each time I learn how much more important it is to praise. At all times.

The final verse in the psalm says, “God pays for each slave's freedom; no one who runs to him loses out.” He’s already purchased your freedom and the victory is His already. Which means the victory is yours! Know that You can’t lose when you run to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment