Being In The World Not Of It

John 17:15- 19 NIV

15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. 17 Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. 19 For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.

Can I tell you that I am realizing now more than ever that Christians all over are failing at being in the world but not being of it. According to John 17 it really is possible for us to live in this world as followers of Jesus Christ and still not conform to the world’s way of living. The fact is that God has sent us out into the world. We are called to reach out to a dying, broken and hurting world; not to disconnect from it. But at the same time as we are doing life in this world, he is also calling us to be sanctified and set apart and separate from it. To be sanctified and separate from the world just means you and I shouldn’t just comfortably mold and fit into today’s culture. What does the culture’s way of living look like? It’s completely void of God and the truths found in his word. It affects the way they speak, think, and act in every way. Unfortunately too many Christians perfectly fit into that same culture.

There are two reasons I think that us as believers have not just lived IN this world but frankly have become part OF it. The first reason is because so many of the Body of Christ are existing on very little of the actual word of God. They may show up to church and sit in a pew on a Sunday or two but they are not studying the word of God for themselves. To be honest, many Christians are taking in 10 times more of the world’s media than they are God’s word. That’s a dangerous place to live! The scripture told us that God wants to sanctify us by the truth and that his word is truth. We need a steady diet of God’s word if we are going to be able to live in the world and not be of it...to not be conformed to the worlds ways.

Here is the second reason we are becoming more worldly as believers, we may be taking in a steady dose of God’s word but we don’t truly receive it. We don’t actually apply the truth to our lives. It’s all head knowledge. If you and I are going to be set apart for God’s purpose in our lives we need to allow the word to actually do what it was intended to do in our lives. For example a few weeks ago we did a devotion on honoring your man. I have a question for you; did you actually do anything with it? Sure you thought it was a great word and an encouraging word, but did you apply any of it to your marriage. Did you study the scripture for yourself and work at honoring your man? Did you change one single thing about how you approach your marriage? We can’t just read the word to read the word…let’s actually do something with it. The word was meant to work in your life and it certainly will if you will let it.

So I am asking you to do a self evaluation…yes we are in the world…but have you become of it. I am going to ask you to take part in a challenge with me. I know many of you could be asking the question “am I of it? How will I know?” God recently challenged me to fast from TV/movies all week and instead spend time in his word. Will you join me? Every time you would normally turn on the TV or pop in a movie will you instead spend some time studying your bible or reading a good book that will encourage you in the word of God? I promise you that God will show up and reveal to you the areas in your life that need some sanctifying.


Hebrews 10:24-25 AMP

Let us consider and give attentive, continuous care to watching over one another, studying how we may stir up (stimulate and incite) to love and helpful deeds and noble activities, Not forsaking or neglecting to assemble together as believers, as is the habit of some people, but admonishing (warning, urging and encouraging) one another, and all the more faithfully as you see the day approaching.

I can't wait to see what God has for your sweet life as you completely surrender yourself to the study of His word over the next week.

xoxo
Justeina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome word and encouragement! I love the continuous care from true friendships (God friends) that stir me up to hunger and thirst for more of God's magnificents. Keep em coming girlfriend or shall i say God friend!!!;)

Post a Comment