Residence

Ezra, as the introduction puts it in my Bible, "beneath his quiet, private, bookish exterior lay a passionate, determined soul committed to helping the people live what the Scriptures taught. God's whole story mattered to him..." I immediately paid attention because I saw maybe a bit of myself in that description; quiet, private and loving the Word of God!

Ezra was a priest sent by the Persian king to lead Israelites back to Jerusalem. I have studied Esther, which led to some study of Nehemiah, another man who helped in the rebuilding of Jerusalem. But I have failed to really learn much of Ezra...so here was my chance.

I haven't finished reading the book yet, but I have particularly found chapter 7 interesting. Verse 15 required special attention from me.

"You are also authorized to take the silver and gold that the king and his advisers are giving for the God of Israel, whose residence is in Jerusalem..."

I chewed on those words for a moment and thought about the implications of this statement. In the Old Testament, God's residence was (at this time) in the temple. Not only was His presence to be found there, but few people were able to enter the room.

But then a man came, who was fully God and fully man, to tear the veil in the temple. When Christ gave up his life as a ransom, the barrier between God and man was torn; a bridge was built for relationship. I am so thankful that today I don't have to fly all the way to Jerusalem and hope I can get into the room that God's presence is held.

The king of Persia, in Ezra 7, makes a statement that was very relevant to that time and one we are blessed not to have actualized at present. God is everywhere, at all times, with all people. We don't have to wait in long lines or bring a bull for offering or follow a list of rules. What we have today is all access to an Almighty God.

I "happened" to have read this on a Sunday morning before church. As I sat in the back of the sanctuary that morning and glanced out to see thousands of people worshipping a beautiful God, I couldn't help but think about Ezra 7.15...and to be thankful that we can have a relationship with the One who created us.

God no longer takes residence on earth in one building, but rather graciously chooses to take residence in the hearts of men. For that we cannot help but be humbled and incredibly thankful.
Category: 0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment