What a thankful heart does...

I felt led to share with all of you an entry I wrote in my personal journal almost four years ago:

"The other day I was really battling a 'What about me?!' kind of attitude. I felt like I was running in circles; changing diapers, tending to a crying baby, picking up after 4 kids, cleaning the house non-stop, trying to get homeschooling done and on and on...all with a not so great attitude. First of all, I got lousy sleep the night before and my quiet times consisted of about 2 minutes of uninterrupted time with the Lord. Wow, I didn’t like the feeling of thinking of myself.

There was nothing specifically wrong, I just felt down. So, I did what every desperate woman does-calls up the hubby for some affirmation! :) I called up Bill and was looking forward to a pick-me-up of some sorts, but the Lord did not allow him to be available. As I sat down to nurse the baby, the Lord spoke to me and told me to "count my blessings…be thankful".

Oh, it's so easy to loose track of our thoughts, emotions and perspective when we are focused on ourselves and all that is going on around us.

Later that afternoon, during my quiet times I ran across the verse from 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17, “Be joyful always, pray continually and give thanks in all circumstances for this is Christ’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” This was no coincidence, huh? Wow, did I ever start counting my many blessings!

Instead of focusing my mind to the mounds of dirty (and some clean) laundry-I instead said, "Thank you God for these four children you've blessed me with."

Instead of focusing on the carpet that needed a desperate vaccuum job and kitchen crumbs on the floor that needed swept, I said, "Thank you God for a home that keeps us warm and safe. We are so thankful for the food we can eat together."


Instead of feeling sorry for myself for the small amount of time I had to myself, I whispered a "Thank you God for speaking to me through all of the day, even when my quiet times are short (and interuppted!).

It's amazing what a thankful heart does-changes perspective, lifts our spirit and get's our eyes off of ourselves and onto Him and others."

I felt led to share that with for some reason...so,what do you have to be thankful for today?

Join me today as I am choosing to be thankful in all circumstances (even the crazy, busy ones!)

Love,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment