Prayer works

A few weeks ago, my son and I were out working in the garden and he had put his pet turtle out in the grass to walk around while we were working. This was something he had always done, but on that particular day, the turtle decided to take off when we weren’t looking. My son was flustered, looking all over for little Willie. No turtle anywhere!

After looking a bit, I said, “Well, let’s pray that we find him.” My son and I said a quick prayer together and I had hopes that this was going to be an opportunity for my son to have faith that God was going to help him. About 15 minutes after looking for little Willie, my son found him under a bush! He was thrilled. I said, “We prayed, didn’t we?” My 5 year-old daughter who was playing nearby over heard us and said, “Well,Mom….prayer works!!”

The faith of a child. The simple belief that God was going to answer our prayers. Why even be surprised? I loved her response and the child like faith that spoke from her lips without even any hesitation.

It challenged my heart a bit. Do I have a child like faith?

In Mark 10:13-16 (CEV), we see that Jesus wants us to have this kind faith. Here’s what it tells us,

"Some people brought their children to Jesus so that he could bless them by placing his hands on them. But his disciples told the people to stop bothering him.
When Jesus saw this, he became angry and said, "Let the children come to me! Don't try to stop them. People who are like these little children belong to the kingdom of God I promise you that you cannot get into God's kingdom, unless you accept it the way a child does." Then Jesus took the children in his arms and blessed them by placing his hands on them.

Jesus simply wants us to trust in Him with this kind of childlike faith.

Is there anything you are facing today, big or small that gives you an opportunity to choose child-like faith?

Because as my five-year-old put it, “prayer works!”

Category: 0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment