Giving God the Driver's Seat

Last week I found myself stuck in the bank parking lot once again. Time after time I get stuck trying to pull out of the parking lot because I have to cross both lanes of traffic to get going in the right direction. I don’t want to take the easy way out and just pull out in the direction the traffic is going because that would take me further away from my house and eventually I would have to find away to turn back around. So then I become impatient and start thinking to myself “o.k. im just gonna gun it” or “if I pull out surely the next car will be kind enough to slow down and allow me to cut in.” Well these options are a little risky and I cant seem to get the nerve up so I then become frustrated.

Now that the Lord is within me, I love that He can just intervene anytime in my thought process. Thank God! Not just when im at church, not just when im on my knees, not just when im screaming out for answers...but anytime. Especially when Im trying to concentrate on something so ridiculous as to when im going to “gun it” out of the bank parking lot.

I started giggling immediately when He said “slow down.” How many times does He have to tell me this? Often, very often! It was like He just popped into my mind and reminded me of how silly my thinking was at that moment. Was it necessary to “gun it”, was it necessary to be in a rush, was it necessary to get impatient over traffic? No, absolutely not. But how many times in life have we wanted to rush ahead, be impulsive, get impatient and frustrated and make totally irrational decisions? The Lord wants only good for us and in order for us to receive this goodness, we must “slow down”.

It is critical to our lives and spirit that we don’t get weary, impatient, frustrated and irrational. We have to continue to be so tuned into His voice that He can intervene and pull us a step back from where we choose to jump ahead. We can not rush His plan and purpose in our lives. If we have to take a detour and a little extra time to be where He wants and desires us to be, we can actually enjoy the extra distance and reap the benefits.

The Holy Spirit has rocked my world lately through a study I am involved in and I am so thankful for the truth He has spoken over my daily life. In Galatians 5:22-25 it says “ 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.” If the Holy Spirit is within us the fruit it will supply in our lives will be a bountiful harvest. Together we can hold each other accountable to cultivate and nourish the fruit of the Holy Spirit in our lives. Let’s take a step back today and ask, where is God speaking this into our lives? Is it over that job you so desperately desire to have? Is it over that house you must own? Is it over a broken marriage or relationship? Does it involve your children and their behavior? How about a friend that has hurt you? A diagnosis or an addiction? Whatever the issue may be, lets allow God to take the driver’s seat and rule over our journey and destinations!

Maranda Huntley
Category: 0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment