Clothing Yourself



Everyday we spend time choosing the clothing that we will wear that day. For some of us, it may be that comfortable t-shirt with our favorite pair of jeans, or a skirt and blouse as we head out the door for the office. Many of us are in the mode by now, after we have clothed ourselves subconsciously for years, that we don’t have to spend much time mentally picking out what we’ll wear…it just seems pretty natural.
Not so with my one of my children. I laugh as I write this because just yesterday I know he had at least four different outfits on throughout the day. One minute he’s wearing his basketball uniform as he is the ‘basketball player’ for the moment, while the next minute he’s putting on his church clothes and a sports jacket preparing for his ‘wedding’ as he is getting ready to get married. The next minute he has a play police costume on as he is ready to save the world, while at other times he might have changed into some khaki cargo shorts and a polo shirt as he tells me, “Mom, I just feel like being stylish right now.” It has become a funny story to share with people, as others have observed this cute trait about my 6 yr. old son also.
But recently, I couldn’t help but see a spiritual parallel. I was studying the book of Colossians and reading through the verses that instruct Christians what they should do; rules for holy living. I began in Colossians 3:12, as we are being instructed to clothe ourselves with some special clothing.
Colossians 3:12, says, “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.”
Wow, now this type of clothing doesn’t seem as easy to put on. We don’t just naturally and subconsciously put on our compassion or gentleness as easy as we do our most comfortable pair of jeans or work outfit. Oh no, these articles of clothing take some thought! The other day I was venting to my husband about this child and some of the irritating things he seemed to be doing. I went on and on giving him example after example. Why? Was it helping the situation? Well, that night, at 3:30 in the morning, I woke up from a sound sleep and the Lord spoke to me in his loving and gentle way, “Stephanie you had put on a critical spirit.” Without any more explanation, I knew exactly what He was talking about. I immediately confessed it to Him, while accepting his loving rebuke with a grateful heart. I had not even been aware of the outfit I had been wearing around for the past week and a half. But, at this moment, I remembered the exact day I had allowed it to be put on. Instead of walking around clothed in gentleness and patience with my son, I became very critical of his actions. None of his actions were anything big or even major, but because of me wearing the wrong attire, it had become a big deal. Verse 13 says, “Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” The Webster’s definition of the phrase, “Bear with each other” is: to be patient, or forbearing with; mean to put up with something trying or painful.

Ouch!! When I read that I had to smile as I shook my head in disbelief at how much it applied to me. I was called to bear with something that was a little painful…and most importantly forgive just as the Lord has so many times graciously forgiven me. How had I fallen into wearing that critical spirit around for so long without becoming aware of it? I had been starting my morning with time alone with God, it wasn’t as if I had not been reading my Bible or spending time in prayer. Galatians 3:3 says, “Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?” See, even though I had been spending time that morning with God, later in the day, I had become foolish-trying to attain my mothering by human effort. Just as my son was changing his outfits several times a day, so was I. I would start the day out with compassion, forgiveness, patience, and gentleness. But throughout the day, I put on that critical spirit subconsciously. It is impossible for us to clothe ourselves with this biblical wardrobe without asking the Holy Spirit to fill us up continually throughout the day. As He fills us, we will begin to walk daily with a beautiful wardrobe…and an over-top of supernatural love.

On a practical note, I am challenging myself to set up daily reminders for me throughout the day to keep me focused on wearing the biblical wardrobe. This may be some notes on my bathroom mirror, putting a penny in my shoe, or setting my cell phone’s timer to go off several times a day. These reminders will keep me focused on praying, keeping my thoughts and mind set on things above, and reevaluating what I am wearing! Off to the closet!

Blessings,
Stephanie



Category: 0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment