Here I Am - Moses

Over the last two weeks, we have been able take a peek into the lives of two men of the faith, Abraham and Jacob. We have been able to witness their immediate response and obedience in saying "Here I am, Lord." And in the face of the unknown, exercise courage. I don't know about you, but I have been greatly challenged and encouraged by this study.

The response, "here I am" has been echoing in my mind, like a dream I can't shake.
Abraham has convicted me to be willing to lay my dreams on the altar. Indeed, even in the last few weeks I have been asked to lay down my greatest dream, and it has been the hardest thing I have ever had to do. But I would rather lay my dream down than be disobedient to my loving Father.
Jacob's testimony has encouraged me to go forward when I am called, even in the presence of fear.

This week we examine the instance in which Moses responds to God with, "Here I am." We find his story in Exodus 3. I would encourage you now take the time to read the chapter.
When we come to chapter three, what do we know about Moses? We know that he was a Hebrew child hidden by his mother to escape death. We know he was placed into the river and eventually found by the Pharaohs daughter. We know he is raised in Pharaohs court and has gained much in his time there. We know, when one day he sees an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, he kills the man, and out of fear, runs to the land of Midian. We know he marries the priests daughter, and for forty years, shepards the man flocks in the wilderness.

Forty years. The same routine every day. Certainly plenty of time to pray. One day, however, Moses would encounter God in a way he never had before. A day unlike any other.

As Moses was out with the flock, he notices a burning bush. Not extraordinary in itself. But as time goes by, Moses notices that the bush isn't being consumed. Interesting, don't you think? Moses did to. He goes to get a closer look and out of nowhere he hears his name called.

What I find crazy is that Moses responds, "Here I am." Seriously? Really? I'm fairly certain that if I saw a burning bush and heard a loud voice call out my name out in the middle of nowhere, I would be pretty darned scared. Wouldn't you? Not Moses though; he is cool, calm, and collected.

To get to the point, God calls Moses' name, Moses responds, and God tells Moses He wants for him to return to Egypt. Like Jacob, God was calling Moses to return to a place he had once fled out of fear of death. To return to Egypt would mean to face his past…something we all are afraid to do at times.

Can you imagine being told that God wants you to return to a dangerous place, and out of there, lead the deliverance of thousands of people through the desert? Pretty big task if you ask me! But Moses did it, and he was used as Gods instrument to deliver the Israelites out of bondage.

I want to challenge you today to face the fear ahead. Perhaps you don’t feel qualified like Moses? Do it anyway. Please know this…God wouldn’t call you to do anything He knew you couldn’t handle. He will equip you for what He has called you to do!

You have know idea what God has planned for you. Nor can you comprehend the magnitude of your purpose. We all have a purpose. Yes, you have a God ordained purpose to make an impact on this earth that ONLY YOU can make. My prayer would be that you would never regret being disobedient to the call of God because you were afraid or felt ill-qualified, but rather you would be able to see a life marked with obedience and courage!

No comments:

Post a Comment