Adding Doesn't Always Equal More

Matthew 6.33 has been my favorite verse for years now.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added to you."

It amazes me that after quoting this verse to myself for years, that I can randomly read it in my Bible one day and it knocks me over with the Truth in it. For anybody who says the Bible is an old book of old stories for an old generation long gone, I say you don't know what you're talking about! Because I see a living , breathing work of God present in my life today!

In Matthew 6, Jesus is sitting on a mountain near Capernum, and he is delivering his most famous sermon. Can you even imagine what that must have been like?! Sitting leisurely, listening to the beautiful voice of Jesus speak Truth into your life. Gives me goosebumps just to think about it!

Matthew 6.33 has sort of become my life verse. It represents my motivation for each day. The clear voice in times of difficulty. My hope in submitting my life to His.

Seek First...the KINGDOM OF GOD.

This one statement, this one sentence contradicts everything our society believes. But the Bible often does do that. We are taught early on to work hard to make the money to buy the things we need. That pretty much portrays the mindset of most humans.

In the few verses leading up to this one, Jesus speaks to the person wondering what they will eat, and what they will wear. We worry, worry, worry about how we'll get by. And get by with more than enough.

But Jesus, the man who for three years didn't have a home to lay his head. Who lived off of the generosity of others. This man, also know as the Son of God, encourages us. No wait, commands us not to worry.

When we wake up in the morning girls, we are to set our minds on our Fathers business. To seek Him first is to welcome the rest. C.H. Spurgeon wrote in his commentary of Matthew 6, "You mind His business, and He will mind ours."

Is that not brilliant?! When we set ourselves to His work and perfect will, He will take care of our needs and concerns.

My favorite thought about this verse resembles a math equation of sorts. (Don't worry, it's not complicated). Jesus calls us to seek Him first, and that which we desire will be added to us. This leaves me to conclude, naturally, that God must be our WHOLE. The rest that we desire, are ADDITIONS.

Ladies, we must not be seeking the additions, because they are additions. Not the whole. Nothing more. When we seek the additions, looking to make them the whole, they will not fulfill us or sustain us. It's like chasing the wind. But when we seek God first, He will add everything we need! Isn't that an incredible promise?!

I've begun to see the little additions that I've been seeking, and I'm convicted. Even good things I have devoted myself to begin to look like wholes to me. My work at the church. My commitment to people. I read this verse and I catch subtle glimpses of the additions I am beginning to make the whole in my life.

I hope today I can encourage you to reevaluate your life and see where your crutches are. What are you seeking after? Is it God? Is it money? Recognition at work? Your family? A boyfriend? There should be nothing that we seek outside of the kingdom of God and his righteousness. Out of that devotion to make him whole, He will add to us those things we need, and those lovely additions that make our life beautiful. The job we like. The family we love. The relationship we enjoy. Those are additions. And it makes the additions all the more beautiful when they come from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment