Supplement!

Years ago, I went through a season where I was more fatigued and run down than usual. I struggled with feeling tired and more unmotivated than usual. I was experiencing headaches and a list of other symptoms. I simply remember feeling unproductive during that time.

My husband and I prayed for wisdom for what to do and we felt God was leading me to see a nutritionist/pharmacist/doctor’s assistant. She was very good at being able to discover what was the root cause, or problem, instead of just simply masking it with another medication. So, I met with her and after some blood testing, I simply found out that I had reason to be fatigued! After having four children so close together with close pregnancies and child-rearing to little ones, I was drained of some serious nutrition! I was deficient in Vit B, C and D and was very low in iron. No wonder I was so tired and felt unproductive!

After she started me on some vitamin supplements, I couldn’t believe how much better I felt! My body now had what it needed in order to be productive once again. I won’t tell you that I always had all the energy I wanted…but it sure helped when I was faithful in taking the supplements like I was supposed to! :)

When I was studying 2 Peter 1 this week, it brought back memories of that time in my life. Paul is talking about how God has given us everything we need for living a Godly life. But he instructs us on how important it is to supplement that faith with some very healthy and key things. This is just how it is in our physical bodies. We may get what we need through eating healthy foods, but it can be very helpful to supplement with some good vitamins to increase our health. Here’s what Peter tells us:

2 Peter 1:3-11 (NLT), “By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. 4 And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires.
5 In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge, 6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness, 7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone.
8 The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But those who fail to develop in this way are shortsighted or blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their old sins.
10 So, dear brothers and sisters,- work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Do these things and you will never fall away. 11 Then God will give you a grand entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.”


If we want to be more productive and useful in our spiritual lives, (and I know I sure want to be!) Peter tells us very clearly what we need in order to supplement our lives and grow.

1. Moral excellence-living our lives with excellent morals!

2. Knowledge-how do we gain this? Getting into God’s word and/or Christian books that will help us grow!

3. Self-control-learning when to say ‘no!’-to things that are dragging us down and slowing our productiveness. (food choices, over spending, unhealthy relationships, gossip, lack of priorities)

4. Patient endurance-when we are going through our daily drudges, endure-push through-don’t give up!

5. Godliness-how do we do this? Fill ourselves with more of God and His truths!

6. Brotherly affection-showing others a caring heart through our actions. (serving!)

7. Love (love, love and love!)

These actions do not come automatically, they require hard work. They are not optional either; we must make them a part of our Christian life. But, we don’t have to attain this on our own-God empowers us and enables us! But just like it was my responsibility to take my vitamin supplements, we also have a responsibility to learn and to grow.

I know that I want to be productive and useful for God and His kingdom…so I am off to supplement!

Love ya!
Stephanie



No comments:

Post a Comment